Tough day at Harvey Field

Reserve Grade

Neddies started off strong with an early penalty goal, followed soon by a great team try out wide and another penalty goal. Cottesloe kept themselves in the game by kicking a penalty goal and scoring a converted length of the field try against the grain of play. Nedlands took the lead into half time 11-10.
They were unable to carry the momentum through to the 2nd half, with discipline, resulting in 3 yellow cards, and poor defence let the boys down in the end. Final score was 32 – 17.

Under 20s

Neddies had a big win last week and wanted to back up the performance against Cottesloe.
Unfortunately Cottelsoe dominated the first half with possession and tries. Chris kicked a conversion from 40metres out, the half time score being 34-3.
Cottesloe scored an early try in the second half and Kevin Hughes receiving a yellow card half way through did not help Neddies from keeping the game from a blow out. Cottesloe only scoring 15 points in the second half making the final score 49-3.

3rd Grade

With aussie Bob on holiday it was left to the old stalwarts Tref and Alvie to take control. The  game kicked off in sunny conditions and the boys were straight into attack, within a minute Edwin sped down the sideline to score in the corner.  Things slowed down a touch but  the tries kept coming with Alvie grabbing a couple. Nase was on fire slotting conversions from the sideline giving Neddies a comfortable lead. There had been some niggle between the teams all game and in the end Cott managed to get a couple of tries, including a penalty try against Macca, however the damage was already done with the final score 41-17 to Neddies. Always good to beat the seagulls on home soil.

4th Grade

Despite having first use of a respectable south-westerly wind the fourths never really got going at Cott. For a number of reasons it was hard for Neddies to get our hands on the ball and keep it for long periods. To their credit Cott defended well and didn’t allow us much room to move and with a number of handling errors we were restricted to one try in the first half. That was a highlight though with some good phases and slick passing, putting Gadget over in the corner. That try showed what might have been if we had been able to keep a bit more possession for longer periods. Richie Jenkins had a cracker at halfback, winning us some valuable possession though his pressure on his opposite number.

A 7-3 lead at halftime meant we would have some work to do in the second half to keep Cott out as they were proving to be a worthy opponent. Their liking for the Nedlands side of the ruck was a feature although not one really given much attention by the ref. The second half was as tough a battle as the first with some great efforts into the wind pleasing feature, although the lineout still needs a bit of work. The Beast made some strong efforts and went very close with the outstretched arm to scoring the winning try. Tank must have refueled with some higher-octane fuel as he reemerged with some of his telling charging runs scattering bodies, but as in the first half we weren’t able to capitalize and keep long periods of pressure. With the wind and a strong kicker Cott were able to wear us down and take the points 13-7. Welcome to new players Snowy and Jesse and a big welcome back to manager extraordinaire, Pete Malcolm. We finish the first round in 2nd place, with a slim lead over Wanneroo and Cottesloe – plenty of work to do in the second round – bring it on.