Round 4 Match Reports

Premier Grade

It was another wet day at The Foreshore on Saturday as Neddies emerged with a bonus point win over the visiting Roo Dogs.

Neddies were out for a clean sweep after the Colts had set the standard earlier in the afternoon with a gutsy come from behind 25-19 win over Wanneroo in their first competition game of the season.

Relishing his return to his favoured position on the wing, Cam Crowley got Neddies on the board early with two cracker tries in the corner. In another good sign, Davis Tavita had his radar working early by converting both from the sideline for a 14-0 lead.

Sustained forward pressure was the key to the third try of the half, with former PG Hampshire winner Nate Roberts dancing through the defence to finish things off from halfback. Davis’s third successful conversion saw Neddies head to the break with a handy 21-3 lead.

It didn’t take long for Neddies to chalk up the four-try bonus point when winger Jake Wilson slashed through for a meat pie. As the rain set in, Neddies added two more tries to skipper Travis Church (showing off in front of his visiting parents) and Ryan “The Bus” McLeod to finish up with a good 38-3 win.

Next week sees Neddies at home to a Soaks team looking to bust the shackles after a winless start to the season. You wouldn’t miss it for quids.

Reserve Grade


Nedlands 25 vs Wanneroo 19

The colts competition started with a bang on the weekend with Nedlands taking on the Wanneroo, both teams were keen to start the season with win and the game didn’t fail to produce some high intensity heart stopping rugby.

Nedlands began strongly jumping out to a 13 nil lead part way through the 1st half with some strong attacking rugby that saw Finlay Koenig-Luck score the first try of the season after a breakout counter attack from Kauri Cudd from deep within the Nedlands defensive half.

However Wanneroo’s strong and powerful runners saw them score two late tries just before 1/2 time to close the game to one point going into the break 13-12.

The majority of the second 1/2 saw Wanneroo on the front foot and some poor defensive lapses saw them cross the line and take the lead 19-13. With the clock ticking down big Grayson Knapp scored a true captains try to bring the home side within a point with six minutes left on the clock.

Nedlands defended bravely with wave after wave of strong attacking runs being repelled until a ruck infringement saw Wanneroo point to the posts with less than a minute remaining in an attempt to run out the clock and finish the game. The shot on goal dropped short and Hershelle Classen launched the counter attack from 100m out.  Some brilliant interplay from the team eventually saw the ball being held up over the line and from the resulting attacking scrum an excellent carry from Tevin Ferris saw Nedlands claim the first win of the year after the siren.

Final Scores 25-19

Man of the Match Kauri Cudd
Notable mentions Matthew Woznuik & Finlay Koenig-Luck

Third Grade

Unfortunately our scheduled game against Wanneroo was cancelled. Unluckily for Wanneroo this meant that rather than miss out on a game our Championship A team played their Championship B team.

With all the change of playing times reorganising players’ yadda yadda Saturday was a wee bit confusing.

When the game finally got underway it became very clear that Wanneroo were going to pay for their decision to default. While they never gave up the floodgates did open and our team scored 11 unanswered tries with 7 of them being converted.

Final score 69 to nil.

Our forward pack dominated and Wanneroo had no answer to the powerful running of our tight forwards, Briggsy, Tank and Peanut continually made big busts through the middle. Isn’t great to see the fend and the maori sidestep being used to brush aside would be tacklers.

Once the forward pack had set the platform it was up to the backs to finish off their hard work and this they did in style. Led by the charismatic Wogga and supported by all of his outside backs they scored 8 of the 11 tries.

A very pleasing aspect of this game was that our team didn’t relax and go into cruise mode, they took the opposition seriously for the full 70 playing minutes.

It was pretty hard to pick the MVP but Wogga’s performance was all class and with the ref having the casting vote he gets the nod. Special mentions go to Jake “snake” Stevens, Neil “Handsome” Smith and Matthew Suter.