Round 17 Match Review

Premier Grade

Round 17 was notable for a number of reasons, including the rare sighting of puddles on the field at The Foreshore. According to club historians, the last time this happened there was a dodo wading around near the 22m line.

The other notables included Neddies winning the Minor Premiership – and making the finals of the Perth competition for 32 consecutive seasons. To put that into perspective, the last time Neddies missed out on the top four, Hulkster was a teenager milking cows on the family farm in Morrinsville, pondering life outside the bright lights of Waikato.

It is a remarkable record which speaks volumes for the winning culture Neddies has created over the decades.

Despite the weather, there was a fair bit happening off the field as well, with another successful Ladies Day and Glen “ET” Thompson  hosting  a reunion of the Neddies team which completed the club’s only premiership three-peat in 1993-95. (ET did a great job of producing a book on the 1993-95 glory days which featured no fewer than five selfies on the front cover).

On the field, the Colts set the scene with a 23-12 win over Palmyra in a top-of-the-table clash to grab top spot on the ladder by percentage. Neddies hasn’t won the open division of the Colts since 2001 and skipper Grayson Knapp and his boys have a great chance of writing a new chapter in the club’s history this season.

The premier grade were straight out of the blocks with star back Davis Tavita carving his way through the Kalamunda defence for two early tries as Neddies jumped to a 10-0 lead. Davis then had a hand in setting up halfback Mike “Roo” Ruru for his team’s third try as Neddies extended the lead to 17-0.

A Kalamunda runaway try reduced the margin to 17-7 before Roo finished the half with his second of the day to give the home team a 24-7 lead and a bonus point.

Neddies were first to score in the second half as Jandre (Drey) Van Der Westhuizen, a prime candidate for the season’s most improved player, crossed to increase the lead to 31-7.

The Bulls hit back with two tries as Neddies coach Gus Martyn emptied his bench, but Neddies completed the scoring when replacement winger Rob Maxwell crossed for a final scoreline of 36-17.

Saturday sees Neddies head to Pat O’Hara to take on Perth-Bayswater in what is the last regular competition game of the season before the truncated two-week finals start on August 9.

Be loud, be proud.

3rd grade

Championship A vs Swan Districts

On a wet and windy morning at the Foreshore, 12.20pm Saturday is still morning to me, we prepared to take on Swan Districts in a game which would determine whether or not we still had a chance to win the minor premiership.

With a reasonable warm up preparation a run on team was settled and play started. We got off to a very good start and despite some physical play from Swan Districts after only 7 minutes Wogga scored a nice try which he converted.

We dominated possession for the rest of the half and added a further 3 tries before half time.

Alvin “The Devastator” bagged a double and Paul “Sitcho” Nielson grabbed the other.

Joe “Peanut” Ritchie summed up the 1st half by saying it was our best physical half of rugby for the season but it meant nothing unless we kept up the effort for the rest of the game.

We started well in the second half with props Briggsy and Tank picking up early tries to lead comfortably 38 to nil with ten minutes to play. Bundy scored our final try right on fulltime, final score 43 to nil.

MVP for the game Peanut with standout performances from Matt Suter and Briggsy.

Stefan Booth had a fine game against his old club but should remember that it’s not a good idea to have white line fever with your unmarked co-coach on your outside.

Bring on Mandurah