Premier Division Round 2 Review: Major Controversy at The Foreshore

Premier Division Round 2 Review: Major Controversy at The Foreshore

Round 2 of the Premier Division competition finished in major controversy at The Foreshore on Saturday night.

It happen in Race 4 of the mouse races – the Fantasy Cup. The top-weight, Head High Hugo, was clearly on the juice. While stewards were unable to find enough evidence to lay charges, race starter Grayson Knapp was officially reprimanded after being found with grated cheese (later confirmed to be Mainland cheddar) in his pockets.

Anyway, it was probably fortunate Head High Hugo didn’t escape onto the field because he would have drowned – such were the atrocious conditions at The Foreshore on Saturday which turned playing surface into a mud bath.

Missing a long list of players including the reprimanded race starter, Neddies waded onto the field against Cottesloe after another win by the unbeaten thirds, losses in reserves and fourths and another win over the She Gulls by the women’s team.

Playing into the elements was always going to be a challenge – and Neddies were probably happy to go to the break just 6-3 in arrears.

The turning point came about 10 minutes into the second half. While the Neddies scrum had been under some duress to that point, the home team forced a critical tighthead on the Cottesloe line. The result was a converted try to front-rower Logan Ede, putting Neddies in the lead 10-6.

It was a lead Tom Fearn’s troops didn’t relinquish. Tries to wingers Zac Makavilitogia and Christoff Cronje (how this bloke didn’t make the State under-19s is beyond your correspondent) blew the scoreline out to 24-6 before a late Cottesloe try delivered a final result of 24-13. This was enough to keep Neddies at the top of the log – and the RugbyWA Cup safe for at least another week.

As was the case last week, there were big-hearted efforts across the park for Neddies. One bloke who did deserve singling out was former Neddies junior Herschelle Classen, who looked full of confidence at halfback in the absence of Nate Roberts.

One familiar face spotted in the crowd was 300+ game Neddies legend Kenny Fleury, who earned his nickname Sir Edmond by perfecting the art of mountain climbing.

This Saturday, the RugbyWA Cup will be strapped on the back of a ute as Neddies heads to Hartfield Park to take on Kalamunda, a team in dangerous form. They reckon the only thing bigger than the Kalamunda forwards are the backs.

As is always the case at Hartfield, your correspondent will raise a stubby to the late Kala legend Jimmy Berry, who will no doubt be cheering on his beloved Bulls with his raspy voice from above.

So clear the diary and get along for what promises to be another cracker of an afternoon of club rugby.

Be there. Be loud. Be proud. Go Head High Hugo. Go Sir Edmond. GO NEDDIES!!

Check out this weeks match pictures

And don’t forget to nominate your Neddies Volunteer of the Year